Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Cargo scarfs

I found this super cool scarf idea through the stumble upon app. They also have a website and you can install a toolbar Stumbled Upon. It's pretty cool, because they use the interest you tell them about and find new websites to introduce you to.
Aaaanyway the point I was making, is that I found this really cool Pattern through it.
The pattern is for a "cargo scarf", I.e. a scarf with little pockets for things like your wallet, etc. in effect eliminating the need to carry a purse on occasion.
Being thorough (or probably bored and procrastinating for something) I read through the comments as well as the pattern. Some commenters had really great ideas: adding a zippered pocket for little things you don't want to lose or change. Of course I had to add a zippered pocket to mine as well!
I decided to make this for my best friend Lauren. Her favorite color is purple, so I decided that was what I was going to use, but I wanted a soft flannel for the lining so it would feel nice against her neck. :)

Here is a picture of her finished scarf:
You can see a bit of the outside which I embellished with black lace, and the lining.

You can see I also added a carabiner hook so you can attach your keys to it. Above that is also elastic so you can put in pencils or pens. I also made some bigger loops so you can add a lipstick. :)

Here is a close up of the front/outside:

I am also part of a paper bag class, which is a class where once a month you get a bag with two yards of fabric, which could be any pattern, but will match up. The two yards can be composed of 2 half yards, three 2/3 of a yard, etc.
So I decided to make another cargo scarf. Realized that the fabric was a really great fit for my friend Brandy. So I decided to make her that scarf instead of a table runner (maybe next year). I added more trimming and beaded fringe to the bottom of it, in the hopes that she was less clumsy than I and wouldn't bean herself in the head with it like I would...
Haha, I am way too clumsy for words!!!
Here are some pics of that scarf:

I actually have no idea how to put in zippers correctly, I just mangled it somehow and it's staying putt.

...

Works for me I guess... >_<

This one is a bit fuzzy, but I'm putting it in because you can see that I decided to put the D-ring on the outside so you wouldn't have your keys knocking against you directly..

I used a decorative stitch to close the opening used to turn the scarf right side out. I hate doing slip stitch, so most of the time I'll cheat and use decorative stitches and say that's the way it had to be. Hehe

No comments:

Post a Comment