Thursday, May 3, 2012

Rice Heating Pads Tutorial

So this is one of the things I made everyone for Christmas to go into their gift baskets. They seem to be really popular and I got requests for more, so I figured I'd make a tutorial for them too. Actually a tutorial seems unnecessary since they are so easy to make, but here it is anyway, just in case.

What you will need is rice, fabric and a means to sew stuff together. I personally used essential lavender oil to scent my rice and it's been pretty popular. When I got a tooth removed I needed a hotpad to put on my face and made it unscented because it was a bit too intense to have that close to my face/nose.
I usually use just regular loose rice. I tried to make one once with boil in a bag rice because that's all we had. I do NOT recommend this! When I microwaved them they turned into puff rice.

So take your piece of fabric (it can be any shape, but for simplicity's sake I usually make rectangular ones. Either use two pieces and place them right sides together, or take one like I did and fold it in half right sides together like this:

Sew around it and leave a spot open to turn it. I like to make the opening not directly at one of the edges because it makes neater edges that way, but essentially however you feel like doing it will work out.

Turn it inside out and start filling it with rice, but only half full so it can move around in the pouch and it'll be easier to sew shut.

This is about how full I fill mine:

Then you can either be exceptional and sew it shut by hand with a slip stitch or be lazy like me and just sew the opening shut with your machine. When using the machine you can use a decorative stitch, zigzag, contrasting or blending thread, be creative!

Now you have your finished heating pad.

(In the picture above you can see my jar that I usually have filled with rice and some essential oils so I always have scented rice on hand.)

No comments:

Post a Comment